The social media giant began unlocking some of them hours after Twitter suspended about 250 accounts for tweeting, or retweeting, with the hashtag #ModiPlanningFarmerGenocide, and making “fake, intimidatory and provocative tweets” in relation to the current protest of farmers.
Accounts relating to the Caravan magazine at 9 pm – against whose editors a FIR was filed by the authorities. The situation is the distribution of misleading information about the death of a protester during the Republic Day tractor rally violence. Mohammad Salim, a CPM member, and Kisan Ekta Morcha farming group were released.
Earlier, government sources said Twitter had been ordered to suspend these and some other accounts by the IT Ministry. The request came from the Home Ministry and law enforcement officers, sources said. It was made to prevent “escalation of law and order (situation) in view of the ongoing farmer agitation.
In addition with the above accounts, those pertaining to journalists covering the protests of farmers and representatives of the governing AAP of Delhi, which had voiced support for farmers, were also suspended.
More About The Suspension By Twitter:
“… @salimdotcomrade’s account has been suspended… Multiple popular Twitter accounts, which were championing the cause of the farmers have been withheld by Twitter citing some “legal” request. We condemn this & demand the suspensions to be removed immediately,” the CPM tweeted in response.
Each blocked user timeline has been hollowed and “Account withheld” has been written across it. “Your account has been withheld in India in response to a legal demand”.
As per the Twitter, content (and accounts) might be withheld “…if we receive a valid and properly scoped request from an authorized entity”.
“Such withholdings will be limited to the specific jurisdiction that has issued the valid legal demand or where the content has been found to violate local law(s),” Twitter responded in its reply.
“…They posted fake, misleading and wrong information regarding the unfortunate death of the tractor driver in an accident to instigate violence amongst protestors,” Delhi Police said this Saturday.
Earlier today the centre also extended till Tuesday a ban on internet services at key farmer protest sites along the Delhi border – Singhu, Ghazipur and Tikri. The ban was announced yesterday by the Home Ministry, which said it was “… necessary and expedient”.
“The government does not want facts to reach the protesting farmers…It is fearful of the coordinated work of the farmers’ unions across different protest sites.. this is undemocratic and illegal,” it said.