Overlord is a Japanese anime television show based on the light book series of the same name authored by Kugane Maruyama and depicted by so-bin. The series was created by Madhouse under the direction of Naoyuki Itō. Yukie Sugawara wrote the script for the series. The music composer of the series is Shūji Katayama.
The question that is most asked on the internet after the three seasons of Overlord is already there: Is Season 4 coming from the series?
Well, the ending of the third season is the chief reason behind this. There is a lot of stuff caught in the mind of Season 3 Overlord fans. Whether or not Ainz conquers the entire world of Yggdrasil remains to be known. Since fans are eagerly waiting for Season 4 to arrive, a lot of other stuff is lacking.
The cause for the delay might just be the Covid-19 pandemic, but there should be an official announcement that is not happening and thus creating doubts among the viewers. For many of the users, reading novels is not feasible and the concern of the release of Overlord Season 4 is therefore high.
Is Overlord Coming Back?
So will the Overlord come back? There are numerous factors to understand whether or not a series would be renewed, such as popularity, sales, and materials to be used as the source. To examine the matter, let us look at each of these factors:
We are interested in how the Overlord franchise’s popularity after the third season is preserved. That means looking at the official website, social media, trends in Google, print copies of the series, and if new merchandise is available.
- In general, sequels are less popular than Season 1: it says so, but in the case of Overlord, sequels are twice as popular as the first season. This could be an excellent sign.
- Social Media: Official website of Overlord was last updated with details regarding the 14th light novel volume of Overlord in 2019. This was tweeted in April about Overlord anime retransmission by the official Twitter account for this franchise with 103,000 followers.
- Google Trends: Unexpectedly and fortunately, Overlord’s third season has been the most successful so far, according to Google trends. Like the first season that aired in 2015, it had twice as many searches. The success of sequels usually decreases, so this is great to see.
- Light Novels: As of 12/2018, Overlord had 8.000.000 copies in print. Only a few months ago, the new volume of Overlord 14 was published. Light novels are still very popular, even if the speed of release is a bit sluggish.
- Merchandise: Generally, new merchandise is a perfect predictor of how well the series performs. And there have recently been three new figures released. New T-shirts and keychains for Overlord are now available for pre-order in 2020.
2. Sales And Profit:
Owing to its high success in the world, Overlord has received a lot of money from all over the world. The problem is that each sequel, as opposed to the previous one, contributes to less benefit.
In terms of benefit, it’s perfectly fair for a sequel to drop about 15-25 percent in every season that comes.
- Blue-Ray Sales: A whopping 12,500 copies per volume were sold in the first season of Overlord. The second season fell to just about 7,000 copies, and the third season fell to about 6,500 copies per volume.
- Light Novel Sales: You might be shocked by the light novel sales, but Overlord, just behind Sword Art Online, is the second best selling light novel per volume. More than 200,000 copies are sold for each volume. Volume 13 sold more than 235,000 copies, and more than 195,000 copies were sold for the new volume 14 before vanishing from the top 10 rankings. It sounds amazing to be one of the highest-selling series per volume, but it is only one volume per year. The first season had about 50 percent more numbers and merchandise than the second and third seasons.
- Game Sales: For Overlord, there is a mobile game named Mass For The Dead that is playable in Japan and the USA. With more than $500,000 in sales worldwide in March 2020 alone the game is doing good.
3. Source Material Information:
There are several original anime series, but in 2020, most series will only use current source material. Typically, they’re either manga, light novels, or mobile games.
For Overlord, the light novel is the source material.
The most important thing we need to check is how many light novels have been published so far in the series and if the story will end prematurely. That could damage the prospects of continuation if the story ends.
- Number Of Volumes: 14 light novel volumes of Overlord are currently being published in Japan. A manga series based on the light novels were also provided to Overlord. There are 13 books released in the manga series.
- There are already Overlord light novels underway. On March 12, 2020, the most recent volume by the author Kugane Maruyama was published in Japan. One volume in 2017, 2018, and 0 in 2019 was published by the author. The author said that he was planning on finishing Overlord with book 17.
- Per season, Overlord adapted three light novels, so volumes one to nine were already used for Madhouse’s adaptation of anime. If they don’t want to cover any of the items they missed in the first three seasons, that means light novel volume 10 is where a new season will start.
Will There Be A Season 4?
It is best to wait, but given the analysis of the above factors, it is obvious that there is a win-win situation for the fans and the fourth season is coming. There’s no justification for Overlord Season 4 not to be green-lit. There’s sales, success, and even source content. For me, it would be a huge surprise if Overlord did not announce another season next year or 2022.
Don’t expect that it will be published in 2020. That is the current state of the planet is kind of unlikely. Any expert would say the release date for Overlord Season 4 will be in 2021 or, in the worst case, it will be pushed into 2022.
All we can do is wait and see where the situation takes us to.