Maharashtra: 12 Children provided Sanitizer Instead Of Polio Vaccination


In a case of huge negligence in Maharashtra, 12 children were given sanitizer instead of oral polio vaccine. This happened in a village in Yavatmal district of Maharashtra. The village is about 700 km from the state capital Mumbai. On Monday, as per the statements by an official, the situation is complex.

The children who suffered from this careless act by the officials were all below the age 5. A government hospital is keeping them all. The doctors and the district officer said that the condition of the children are stable. They also added that the three healthcare workers surely and very soon will have to face action for this action.

India is rationing its new polio vaccine to counter a shortage, but even  that is not working

The case was recorded at a public health centre in the region on Sunday when the National Pulse Polio vaccination campaign started for children between the ages of 1-5, the officer said.

More About Blunder During Polio Vaccination:


Instead of polio drops, Yavatmal Zilla Parishad CEO Shrikrishna Panchal said 12 children under 5 years of age were provided a sanitiser.

One of the children subsequently complained of vomiting and uneasiness. He said. This started  a point of doubt among parents and soon all the children started feeling uncomfortable.

Shrikrishna Panchal said that all the children given sanitizer drops were provided polio drops and admitted to the Public Medical College in Yavatmal.

Their health is safe and stable and they are being watched. Children are feeling good and are subjected to strict observation.

He said, according to initial information at the time of the incident, three health care staff – a doctor, anganwadi sevika and an ASHA volunteer – were active at the PHC.


“An inquiry is underway and orders will be issued to suspend all the three healthcare workers,” Mr Panchal said.

Meanwhile, another official said the case came to a head when the drops were tested by the village sarpanch and found to be hand sanitizer and not doses of polio.

Parents in the region are afraid of the incident and have requested justice against the people responsible for the terrifying mistake, he said.

The official said Yavatmal Collector M D Singh went to a hospital and inquired about the children’s situation.

The incident happened during the National Day of Polio Immunisation, which is recorded on 31 January. Maharashtra government is under high pressure after the incident.

Parth Dubey
I am Parth Dubey, currently an undergraduate. I have been working as a content writer for the past 6 months and have worked in various fields with many people and firms. I firmly believe that writing is not just about money making or attracting people, it's more about knowledge and information, along with feelings.

Must Read

Woman arrested by Ludhiana rural police for husband’s murder

Ludhiana rural police arrested a woman for murdering her husband after a fight between the couple on Saturday night. The accused, Gurmeet Kaur of...

Using Digital Marketing To Bolster Success Anand Singh

NJ Traffic Ticket Payment Guide for Vehicle Owners