Today In Bermuda has received reports that a room at the newly-renovated Hamilton Princess has caught afire. According to ireporter WJ, flames could be seen in the room while dozens of guests and employees watch from the ground. We will have more details as they arise.
UPDATE: What was initially reported to Today In Bermuda as a room fire, was actually a small fire contained in the kitchen area in the hotel. We have learned that the heavy smoke emitting from the building is actually the result of smoke vents being shut off as a precautionary measure and then turned back on.
With the illumination of the rooms underneath the billowing smoke (pictured below), it gives the illusion of a room on fire. The following statement was made by Allan Federer, General Manager, Hamilton Princess:
“At approximately 8.15 this evening, the chimney over the wood burning stove in Marcus’ caught fire. The safety of our guests and employees is our number one priority and we immediately implemented our fire protocols.
"The hotel was evacuated while the Fire Department contained the fire. Guests have now returned to the hotel building; however, Marcus’ will remain closed until the Fire Department gives us the all clear, which we hope will be tomorrow. Thankfully no one was injured and there was no damage to the hotel. We would like to thank the Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service for coming to our aid so quickly and extinguishing the fire.”